Spread the Word ASAP
Promoting the importance of after school services is vital to continued public and private support. Consider writing your federal, state, and local legislators about the role after school - ASAP - plays in Greater St. Louis. Contact ASAP if you have ideas or contacts to help advocate for ASAP.
Did you know?
- After school programs provide a safe, caring, and nurturing place for extended learning, social, recreational, and personal life skills development for children during non-school hours.
- After school is not a continuation of the school day but extends and enriches the opportunities for experimental learning, social development, and recreation. It incorporates a strong partnership of school, family, and community members that collaboratively contribute to the growth of students as they mature into caring, competent, and responsible adults.
- At the last count, there were approximately 1,057,794 children between the ages of 6 and 18 in Missouri. Of these, 77% have a mother who works outside the home.
- School age children spend only 20% of their waking hours in school. Over 77% of the school age children in Missouri have either single or dual working parents, leaving over 700,000 school age children at risk of being home alone for long periods of time. Juvenile crime rates triple between the hours of 3:00 and 6:00 p.m.
- A high quality after school program will have a strong balance between academic, social, leisure/recreation, and life skills choices.
- After school does not duplicate the school day but rather extends the opportunities for learning and offers practical hands-on experiences to supplement the theories learned in school. For example, a child may be working on fractions during the school day and in the after school program, they may do a cooking project where they put into practice the theory of fractions. How do you add ½ cup? Or how do you divide a pie into enough servings for eight people, etc.
- The After School for All Partnership for St. Louis (ASAP) was created to help increase access to full time, quality after school services in the City of St. Louis.